Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Presents

My mother-in-law bought me a keg of beer for Christmas.

I'm not kidding.

It was my favorite gift of the year.

I don't particularly care for Christmas gifts. I presume that I'm in the minority, but I just don't enjoy opening gifts at all. I don't want Christmas gifts. Really, I don't. I'm pretty hard to buy for. I'm 40 and I have most everything I could possibly want. Even when I was relatively young, I didn't like opening gifts or the whole thing. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we just did away with Christmas gifts all together. But, hey, a keg of beer? The idea of a keg of beer for Christmas, well let's just say that it is unique.

Every year, my mother-in-law gives me beer. Last year, it was a twelve pack of a variety of different beers. The year before, it was a two quart bottle of Heineken. This year, it was a keg of Heineken. A one-gallon keg. It can be tapped and you can drink it for up to 21 days after it is tapped. A gallon of beer is just less than 11 bottles. So for the next couple of weeks, if I want a glass of cold Heineken, I'll go out onto the deck and draw a glass from my Christmas present.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheesehead Craig said...

Dude, that is a great gift. What a thoughtful MIL you have.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea. Too bad it's not really good beer. There is some really good beer available in the Twin Cities area these days. Help your moms-in-law to learn about James Page Brewing in Stevens Pt, WI; or Summit in St. Paul. Or even Schell's in New Ulm.

4:12 PM  
Blogger SBG said...

She said that there were others that came in a keg, but she didn't recognize any of the names. She is 68 years old and lives in Winona. While some smaller breweries have their products in Winona, I'm not sure exactly which ones are there.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I totally would not nitpick the kind of beer I got. Within reason of course.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home